Monthly Tech-Tip from Tony Hansen SignUp

No tracking! No ads!That's why this page loads quickly!

2019 Jiggering-Casting Project | 2020 Project to Document a Shimpo Jiggering Attachment | | Comparing the Melt Fluidity of 16 Frits | Making a high quality ceramic tile | Making Bricks | Medalta Jug Master Mold Development | Mother Nature's Porcelain - Plainsman 3B | Nursery Plant Pot | Pie-Crust Mug-Making Method | Plainsman 3D, Mother Nature's Porcelain/Stoneware | Roll, Cut, Pull, Attach Handle-making Method | Slurry Mixing and Dewatering Your Own Clay Body | Testing a New Load of EP Kaolin

Beer Bottle Master Mold Project

I started this in the spring of 2020. I want to create a ceramic beer bottle to commemorate those made by the Medalta Potteries here in the early part of the 20th century. This is challenging because of the need to fit the swing top stoppers. And because the model and molds are too big for me to print in one piece. But I will overcome these obstacles one at a time and report here.

I have been developing several medium temperature bodies lately, the M340 casting seems to be the most promising. It casts quickly and fires very strong with my glazes. With the inner transparent glaze it will produce a surface that appears stable and non-leaching.

Related Information

This drawing of a beer bottle shows how far parametric can go

This is Fusion 360. The profile was drawn and various measurements parameterized. That means the measurements were given names (e.g. body_diameter, thickness). This makes it it possible to change many aspects of the geometry of this shape by just editing the parameter numbers.

Getting measurement right for the swing top stopper

I measured the gap on all of the ones I have and got an average to work from. Then I 3D printed several iterations of the neck to try. This produced a perfect fit.

First cast beer bottle

I 3D printed a one-time-use block mold, just good enough to cast plaster working pieces to friction-fit in place. That enable pouring and firing a piece to assess the size to begin work on version 2. The outside glaze is GA6-B, is is working wonderfully.


Glossary Medalta Potteries

By Tony Hansen

Tell Us How to Improve This Page

Or ask a question and we will alter this page to better answer it.

Email Address




CAPTCHA, All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy