- Alfred Analytical Laboratory (no website)
Location: Alfred Station, NY, USA
Will do leach testing for extractable metals in fired glazes. Contact Dr. Roland Hale, Director, Alfred Analytical Laboratory, 4964 Kenyon Road, Alfred Station, NY 14803
- ALS USA Inc. www.alsglobal.com
Location: Reno, NV, USA
A leading full-service provider of analytical geochemistry services for the global mining industry. Over 60 laboratories located in key mining districts on six continents.
- Brandywine Science Center, Inc. http://www.bsclab.com/Pottery_Testing.html
Location: Kennett Square, PA, USA
They will do leach testing for extractable metals in fired glazes. The url here explains how to prepare your fired glaze sample. The home page at their site has the address to which to send the package.
- CERAM RESEARCH http://www.ceram.com/testing
Location: Stoke-on-Trent, UK
Phone: +44 (0) 1782 764355/764356
CERAM offers an independent testing service for all materials based industries including ceramics, glass, metals and raw materials.
- Composite Technology Development, Inc. http://www.ctd-materials.com
CTD utilizes an array of state-of-the-art equipment and facilities for materials testing and evaluation. We have experience testing metallic, polymer, composite, and ceramic materials and are capable of evaluating the mechanical, physical, thermal, and electrical properties of materials at temperatures from –270°C (4K) to over 200°C (500 K).
- Lambda Research http://www.lambdatechs.com
A broad array of x-ray diffraction and fluorescence testing capabilities are maintained for materials applications primarily in the areas of qualitative and quantitative phase analysis and texture determination. A full machine shop with modern CNC tooling supports the surface integrity studies of manufacturing methods.
- Pirates Pottery (no website)
Phone: 610 346-7641
Location: Coopersburg, PA USA
Sr. Scientist Product Development and Raw Materials characterization consulting, laboratory instrumental analysis. Specialize in porous media, filtration liquid absorption. Instron tensile strength testing. Prototyping mold making, pattern making, and modeling.
- Loring Laboratories Ltd. http://www.loringlabs.net/
Phone: (403) 274-2777
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
A general testing lab, they can do mineralogical and chemical analysis. Price is around $100 per sample.
- CanTest Ltd. http://maxxam.ca/
Phone: (604) 734- 7276
Location: Offices across Canada
They can do a very detailed Glazed Ceramics and Glassware leachate test.
- McMaster University http://mse.mcmaster.ca/
Location: Hamilton, Ont, Canada
ASTM Testing and interpretation/advice for ceramics, materials, powders, glaze, refractories.
Ceramics: bulk density; true density; apparent porosity; total porosity, pore size distribution; permeability; Modulus of Elasticity; Modulus of Rupture; Fracture Toughness; hardness; abrasion resistance; thermal expansion; optical mineralogy and electronoptical microstructure and elemental-distribution.
Determination of source of glaze defects and defects that initiated failure in both ceramics and glass.
Powder or powdered ceramic bodies: XRD; XRF; EDAX; particle-size-distribution; packing-density; grading; surface area; DTA; TGA; dispersion; pressing density; parameters for slip-casting; viscosity; thixotropy; parameters for EPD shaping; dilatometry for optimum sintering temperature/time.
Glass: Postmortems on the fracture of bottles, panes, reactors etc., glass composition, softening points, residual stress state, pressure capability, thermal-shock, etc.
Refractories: (ASTM C20) such as RUL, MOR, bend and crushing strength, and slag attack etc.
Phone: 519 751 7771
- Norwest Labs http://www.contractlaboratory.com
Location: Alberta, Canada
Locations in Western Canada, Thailand, Bangladesh and Turkey. They can do chemical analysis on clays and rock at about $120 Canadian per sample. They can handle boron. The test is called WRA1 (Whole Rock Analaysis 1).
- NSL Analytical Services, Inc. http://www.nslanalytical.com/
An independent Commercial Testing Laboratory in business since 1945, NSL is a leader in the chemical analysis of all types of materials. Whether the product is metallic or non-metallic, powdered, solid, or liquid, NSL can perform most chemical analyses, from less than 1-ppm to 99.999% using ICP, ICPMS, ICP-MS, DCAR-C, Wet Chemistry and Spectrographic Analysis.
- Professional Service Industries http://www.psiusa.com
Phone: 412-922-4000 Chemist
Distinguished as a leader in environmental consulting, geotechnical engineering, and construction testing services, PSI is nationally recognized in several disciplines, including: construction services, materials testing, roof consulting and asbestos management. We’re a leader among independent testing organizations and rank as one of North America's largest consulting engineering firms according to ENR.
- SGS Canada inc. http://www.sgs.ca/
Location: Lakefield, Ontario, Canada
Established in Canada since 1948. Provide auditing, monitoring, inspection, sampling and laboratory testing for raw materials, bulk, containerized and finished products.
- The M&P Lab http://www.mandplabs.com/
The M&P Lab is a full-service materials testing laboratory, offering our clients a full range of analytical and consulting services such as acceptance testing, quality control, service evaluation, failure analysis and product development. We analyze materials such as metals, composites, organics and polymers for composition, structure and properties.
- Vanderbilt R. T. Co. Inc. http://www.rtvanderbilt.com/analytical.htm
Phone: (203) 853-1400
Location: Norwalk, CT, USA
QC/QA for our manufacturing plants, analysis of raw materials and resale products to qualify new sources of materials, test method development/validation. A complete range of spectroscopy, thermal, particle instructions, online service delivery.
The future of ceramic recipe, material and physical testing record keeping is here. Just pennies a day.
Maintain your recipes and materials on-line
- Login to a private account or work with others in a group account (e.g. university).
- Nothing to install (access it using your web browser). It is always the latest version.
- Import existing material, recipe data.
- As many side-by-side recipes and/or materials as you want (chemistry is shown for all).
- Many ways to search and classify glaze and body recipes.
- Glaze and body recipes are robust, with units-of-measure, pictures with individual titles and descriptions, material links.
- Add variations to a recipe; each with its own pictures, descriptions and name/code-number extensions.
- Recipes can link to materials, typecodes, projects and firing schedules (all managed in their own areas).
- Standard reports and mix ticket reports with last-minute-totalling; variations report as if they are a complete recipe.
- Video tutorials, help system, contact form on every page, dedicated messaging and support ticket systems.
- It is an industrial-strength database system (unlimited capacity, fast, reliable, scalable).
Imports many file formats
- Glaze recipe formats supported: HyperGlaze, GlazeGhem, GlazeMaster, Matrix, INSIGHT XML recipes (single and multiple), INSIGHT SQLite DB files.
- Assign a batch number to recipe imports (later search by batch).
- Assign multiple typecodes to imported glaze and body batches (to classify) (search on these later).
- Prepend character sequences to glaze recipe names during import.
- Import the pictures and pair them to their corresponding recipe records automatically.
- One click to automatically export the database to an SQLite DB database file and download it (for use with desktop INSIGHT or just as a backup).
- Export and import individual glaze recipes as text or XML.
- Import materials data in various formats or just use the thousands of built-in reference materials.
Perfect for Education
- Ceramic study programs can now accumulate material, recipe and testing data year-after-year, students can login and together build a valuable ceramic glaze and body knowledge resource.
- Students already have internet connected devices, computers are not even needed in the class.
- The Reference Manager gives you quick access to the Digitalfire Ceramic Reference Database.