Learn glaze chemistry & INSIGHT at the same time!
What is INSIGHT?
Why is INSIGHT the best?
Access the same data from all your computers
Desktop INSIGHT: Software for ceramic glaze chemistry calculations
Download and install on Windows, Linux and Macintosh
There is a direct relationship between the way ceramic glazes fire and their chemistry. Insight is a calculation tool anyone can use to learn and harness the power of ceramic chemistry.
- Fix problems like crazing, blistering, pinholing, settling, gelling, clouding, leaching, crawling, marking, scratching, powdering.
- Substitute frits or incorporate better, cheaper materials, replace no-longer-available ones (all while maintaining the same chemistry).
- Adjust melting temperature, gloss, surface character, color.
- Identify weaknesses in glazes to avoid problems.
- Create and optimize base glazes to work with difficult colors or stains and for special effects dependent on opacification, crystallization or variegation.
- Create glazes from scratch and use your own native materials in the highest possible percentage.
Without ceramic chemistry you'll never really have control and you could be a slave to your suppliers or the trafficing in recipes that never work.
Insight is built using the fastest, smallest, most reliable cross platform database: SQLite.
Download: Windows (2014-3), OSX (2014-3), Linux (2014-3)
An Insight-Live account is included free
An online account. Document recipes, materials, testing, firing schedules. Much more!
Just visit! Nothing to download or install
Revolutionary! The future! This does the chemistry and the physics.
Only 3-8 cents a day.
- You get premier access if you have a current desktop INSIGHT Level 2 or Site License key.
- Login to a private account or work with others in a group account (e.g. university).
- Nothing to install (access it using your web browser). It is always the latest version.
- Import existing material, recipe data (GlazeMaster, Matrix, HyperGlaze, GlazeChem, INSIGHT, Excel).
- Export everything to an SQLite database file so you can open it with desktop Insight.
- As many side-by-side recipes and/or materials as you want (chemistry is shown for all).
- Many ways to search and classify glaze and body recipes.
- Glaze and body recipes are robust, with units-of-measure, pictures with individual titles and descriptions, material links.
- Add variations to a recipe; each with its own pictures, descriptions and name/code-number extensions.
- Recipes can link to materials, typecodes, projects, firing schedules and physical test result data (all managed in their own areas).
- Standard reports and mix ticket reports with last-minute-totalling; variations report as if they are a complete recipe.
- Video tutorials, help system, contact form on every page, dedicated messaging and support ticket systems.
- It is an industrial-strength database system (unlimited capacity, fast, reliable, scalable).
- Insight-live site is designed to run on any web browser on any device. Data is columnized so it is zoomable on small screens.
From your Tablet!
It works on any browser-equipped tablet or smart-phone (like iPad, iPhone, Android).
And it is available for a low monthly rate.
The Digitalfire Reference Database, the Power Behind INSIGHT
Digitalfire's Reference Database is a materials-centric knowledgebase of 4,000 pages and 11,000 interlinks with everything you need to know to formulate, adjust and
troubleshoot traditional ceramic bodies and glazes (and there is no advertising on the pages!) It is the online focus for all of our ceramic technology information gathering initiatives.
Its knowledge spectrum for adjusting, formulating and troubleshooting glazes and bodies is organized as:
Oxides, minerals, materials, recipes, articles, glossary, hazards, library, MDTs for INSIGHT, pictures, properties, firing schedules, significant temperatures, tests and troubleshooting.
Records in these areas are interrelated by 10,000+ links. The website talks to Level 2 INSIGHT and Insight-Live. Insight Level 2+ owners get extended access privileges.
Or Take the Insight Challenge?Click here to challenge us to solve it!
Are people thinking about glaze toxicity?
- I am now at a point where I want to build my own kiln and develop my own pallet of glazes as well as a clay body ... I want to understand better why glazes do what they do ... how to fix them. I also want to make sure they are safe. When a friend from Japan comes in the summer I try and figure out what he does and why but he, being a master potter, seems to just go by the look and consistency of it. Boggles my mind!!!
to see all 14