|Monthly Tech-Tip |
Antimony compounds are toxic and dangerous. They can cause dermatitis, conjunctivitis, nasal-septum ulceration through direct contact or by inhalation of dust or fumes. Antimony oxide has caused lung tumors in laboratory inhalation studies. Antimony is also connected with kidney and liver degeneration, adverse reproductive effects.
Antimony compounds may be irritating to the mucous membrane of the respiratory system and to the eyes. In case of eye contact, wash out eyes thoroughly by means of a continuously flowing stream of water directed into the eyes for 10-15 minutes. Consult a physician. Use only in adequate ventilation or wear proper respiratory protection.
Antimony oxide is insoluble in common organic solvents, but very slightly soluble in water. Can be contaminated with arsenic.
Antimony has a TLV (threshold limit value) of 0.5 milligrams per cubic meter of air breathed. By comparison iron oxide is considered a safe-to-use material at 5.0, kaolin is 2.0, barium carbonate is 0.5, quartz is 0.1-0.05.
|By Tony Hansen|
Follow me on
Antimony Hazards at ilo.org